In this week’s episode, we feature Jayanta, who is a Product Manager at HCLTech. He shares his story of making the best use of all the knowledge he gained during his learning curve. Get to know more about him as he guides us through this amazing process.
Q1. Tell us about your current role and background.
I’m Jayanta Das, and I bring over 7 to eight years of experience to my role as a Product Manager. I hold an MBA degree and have obtained my Product Management certification through Accredian.
Currently, I am responsible for overseeing one of the product management teams dedicated to the digital manufacturing marketplace at HCl. This project is an in-house initiative, and I’ve recently joined the company to oversee the complete development of this digital manufacturing marketplace.
Q2. What challenges did you face while exploring a Product Management role?
One of the initial challenges when transitioning into the role of a product manager, is effectively managing stakeholders.
Another critical aspect is meeting deadlines for problem-solving. This involves identifying issues, formulating solutions for these problems, and ensuring clear communication with stakeholders.
Furthermore, as a product manager, it is essential to view things from a customer’s perspective and understand the user’s point of view.
In summary, these challenges are fundamental in the field of product management.
Q3. How has Product Management helped you in your new role?
When I launched my career in Dubai at Landmark.com, I began to realize the significance of working within the E-Commerce realm. My role was intricately connected to numerous customers on the backend, which involved monitoring their interactions with our portal and devising solutions. This process heavily relied on the efforts of the customer success team.
This customer-centric perspective added an intriguing layer to my work, akin to a vendor offering tailored solutions. The ability to delve into problem statements and provide effective resolutions is a core aspect of product management.
Having a comprehensive grasp of both technical and functional aspects can significantly facilitate the enhancement of product ideas and the creation of comprehensive product roadmaps.
This journey has shaped my perspective and strengthened my role as a Product Manager, starting from my initial role in finance. Over time, I gained a deep understanding of the responsibilities associated with product management.
I undertook relevant courses to attain an in-depth knowledge of agile product management, allowing me to approach tasks with a more strategic perspective.
In essence, comprehending key objectives, tasks, and strategies to overcome obstacles has been instrumental in my journey as a Product Manager. It’s a journey that has equipped me with the skills and insights necessary to excel in this role.
Q4. What was the interview experience at your current company?
During my interviews with HCl, the process was straightforward and involved several stages:
1. Initial Resume Screening:
- Around 200 applicants were initially considered for a single opening.
- The key components of resumes were crucial for successful screening.
- HR quickly identified a match between my experience and their marketplace New Project creation project.
2. Technical Interview Rounds:
- Approximately 20 to 25 technical rounds of interviews were conducted.
- HR initiated an initial screening regarding experience, career roles, responsibilities, and availability.
- Subsequently, interviews with hiring managers took place, involving discussions about case studies and assignments related to problem-solving.
- The interviews with hiring managers lasted about one and a half hours.
- Upon success in the technical rounds, the process moved to the next round, focusing more on domain expertise.
3. Final Technical and Functional Interview:
The final interview took place within a week.
- It included technical and functional aspects and featured scenario-based questions and a case study.
- The interview went well, leading to an immediate response from the company.
Discussions about salary expectations and joining dates followed.
Tips for Interview Success:
- As a candidate, clarify your roles and responsibilities, aligning them with your current job.
- Prepare relevant case studies to demonstrate your expertise.
- Research the company, understanding its culture and roadmap, as you may be asked about it during the interview.
Following these tips and understanding the interview process can greatly enhance your chances of success in the interview at HCl.
Q5. Why Accredian? How did it help you?
The benefits I gained from Accredian can be summarized as follows:
1. Knowledge Enrichment:
- Accredian provided me with valuable knowledge.
- Their approach to knowledge sharing is highly effective.
- They offer practical insights that prove invaluable in one’s professional career.
2. Practical Learning:
- Accredian’s approach includes practical case studies.
- These case studies significantly enhance one’s preparedness for the challenges faced in a professional career.
- Accredian ensures that even individuals from diverse backgrounds can grasp the fundamentals.
- Their approach simplifies complex concepts, making it easy to understand the role of a product manager, the associated challenges, and how to address them effectively.
- The knowledge base they build equips candidates to tackle interviews with confidence, eliminating potential challenges.
In essence, Accredian’s focus on knowledge enrichment and practical learning greatly benefits professionals, ensuring they are well-prepared for their careers and any interviews they may encounter.
Q6. What advice would you give to Product Management beginners?
First and foremost, it’s crucial to approach problems with a practical mindset. When presented with a problem statement, it’s essential to have a clear understanding of your thought process and the primary objectives.
Additionally, effective communication skills are vital. As newcomers to the field of product management, it’s important to develop the ability to communicate effectively with relevant stakeholders.
Furthermore, staying up-to-date is essential. New product beginners should engage in secondary research to connect with marketing tools and technology. Keeping oneself informed and continuously updating knowledge is a key aspect of success in this field.
We hope you found this success story interesting. If you have any Product Management questions, please fill this form and we will get back to you.